Here are seven things to do when creating and delivering a finance presentation to make sure it’s a success.
- Chastity. Be confident but don’t be a show-off. That can be a fine line to tread. The main thing is to remember that you are there for the audience, not the other way around.
- Temperance. Show restraint in the content of your presentation. Don’t include material you don’t need to tell your story. It’s like Goldilocks, not too many slides and not too few.
- Charity. In a presentation you are giving something of yourself to the audience. You are sharing some of your knowledge or skills or experience or insight.
- Diligence. Very few, if any, accountants are natural presenters. You will have to work hard at improving your presentation skills.
- Patience. Do what you can to prevent things going wrong but if and when they do, be tolerant. Don’t get angry. If you do the audience will remember your anger rather than your message.
- Kindness. Consider who the audience is and what they need from you.
- Humility. When you make a presentation try to remain grounded and focused on what you are doing. It will help manage any nerves you have.